With locations in Crestview, Pensacola, Mary Esther and Santa Rosa Beach, Comfort Dental Care and Orthodontics offers several types of braces to our patients.
Types of Braces — Traditional, Ceramic, Invisible, and Lingual
There are four types of braces: traditional metal, ceramic, invisible and lingual. These braces are all very different, and it’s important to understand the differences between them.
Traditional Metal Braces
Traditional metal braces are the most common type of braces and have been made more comfortable due to advances in technology. The brackets and archwires they require are made of high-grade stainless steel, and the related rubber or elastic bands used with them come in several colors, allowing patients to be creative with their look.
- Advantages: This form is the least expensive, and colored elastic bands give children the opportunity to have fun with their braces.
- Disadvantages: These braces are most noticeable and cannot be disguised.
Ceramic braces are made of clear materials, so they are more appealing than traditional metal braces. They require larger brackets that are a little more fragile than traditional braces and are only attached to the front of teeth.
- Advantages: Your teeth are moved into place faster than invisible braces, but are less noticeable than metal braces.
- Disadvantages: You have to care for them properly, or they will stain easily.
Invisible Braces (Invisalign®)
Invisalign® is a type of “invisible” braces that are ideal for adults and teenagers who might be self-conscious about their appearance during the course of their treatment. Invisalign® uses clear plastic aligner trays, customized for your teeth, that can be removed for eating, brushing, flossing, and cleaning your trays.
- Advantages: Invisible braces are removable, let you eat and drink what you want, don’t irritate your mouth, and require fewer orthodontist visits than other forms of braces.
- Disadvantages: These cannot always help serious orthodontic issues, can be more expensive, and are costly to replace if lost. Additionally, they can take longer fix your smile.
Lingual Braces (Incognito™ or Hidden Braces)
Lingual braces, like Incognito™, are considered “hidden” orthodontic braces. These do not interfere with your speech like other forms of braces will and they do not cause much discomfort. Your orthodontist will make you a customized treatment plan and the lingual braces will be attached to the back or lingual side of your teeth. Lingual braces do not stick out from your teeth and will not irritate the inside of your cheeks or lips. Incognito™ braces are very convenient for active children, teenagers, and adults. These braces are special because they protect your teeth like traditional braces, but are undetectable like Invisalign®.
- Advantages: Because they are invisible, Incognito™ braces cannot easily be seen.
- Disadvantages: These braces will not help serious dental issues. They are uncomfortable initially, can be harder to clean, take longer to adjust, and are more expensive.
If you would like more information regarding the different types of braces, please contact Comfort Dental Care and Orthodontics in Crestview, Pensacola, Mary Esther or Santa Rosa Beach today.